In Walla Walla Public Schools, we operate in an aligned and coherent system. This means students will receive access to the same essential standards in Language Arts no matter which school they attend. During the summer of 2019, teachers came together to identify 8-12 essential standards per grade level to ensure consistency across schools, and to ensure all students progress to the next level with the same foundation of skills. The WWPS Essential Standards document linked below summarizes the standards for which all students will receive instruction, and additional support to achieve proficiency for grades K-12.
In order to be successful in reading and learning, students need to develop:
- The skills and knowledge to understand how phonemes, or speech sounds, are connected to print;
- The ability to decode unfamiliar words;
- The ability to read fluently;
- Sufficient background information and vocabulary to foster reading comprehension;
- Appropriate active strategies to construct meaning from print; and
- A motivation to read.
ReadyGEN English and Spanish Language Arts (Pearson) - Grades K-5
The district adopted ReadyGEN in the Spring of 2017. This curriculum was selected following a very careful process that included Instructional Materials Review training, an indepth review of three curriculum options and a district-wide pilot. Our teachers began using the materials in the 2017-18 school year and have participated in numerous professional development sessions to help them use the program more effectively. It is available in English and Spanish.
SpringBoard - Grades 6-12
The district adopted SpringBoard, published by College Board, in the Spring of 2018. Our teachers will begin using the new materials in the 2018-19 school year.
* Note that there are also other specialized curriculum materials available for students needing additional assistance in the goal of reading at grade level, based on their area of need.