Blue Devil Athletics Fall Sports 2023 Update – By Athletic Director Chris Ferenz
The Fall sports season ended over the course of the last two weeks as Blue Devil athletes competed in their respective District 8 and Washington state tournaments. Although placings were not earned, we had several young athletes earn valuable experience. In addition, MCC All-Conference teams were announced.
On Saturday, November 4, juniors Macy Eggart and Ian Lash competed in the WIAA State Cross Country Championships. The experience of competing in this large meet as juniors will serve as great motivation and experience as both Macy and Ian will return for their seniors season. Congratulations to Macy and Ian.
Thursday, November 9 saw senior Elliot Zanes and junior Miriam Hutchens dive in the WIAA championships. Elliot became the first Walla Walla High School diver in school history to qualify for the finals by placing in the top 20. Hutchens, a junior, is a first year diver and missed the finals by less than a point. On Friday, November 10, juniors Abi Guest and Lindsay West competed in the 500 freestyle in the swim preliminaries of the WIAA State Swim Championships. Both swimmers gained valuable experience in racing on a big stage. Congratulations to our swim and dive team members who earned spots in the state meet.
The Lady Blue Devil volleyball, after finishing as the #2 seeded 3A team in the MCC, bowed out of the District 8 tournament with a road loss to the Ferris Saxons on Tuesday, November 7. The Blue Devils earned the trip north by defeating the University Titans on Saturday, November 4 by a match score of 3-1.
A special thank you to Lenna Henry, fall gameworker coordinator, and all of the people who stepped up and stepped in to support our student-athletes, coaches, and their programs by making our games happen. In addition, Harlie Schaeffer and Brendan King deserve a huge shout out for their support and supervision of the athletic department and athletic contests. I truly appreciate the support and efforts of all involved to support Blue Devil athletics. We look forward to seeing you this winter.
The Mid-Columbia Conference coaches have voted and released Fall 2023 All-Conference awards. Congratulations to our Blue Devil athletes who have earned recognition by the MCC.
Boy’s Cross Country
• Gabriel Coram, JR, Second Team
• Turner Van Slyke, SR, Honorable Mention
• Lincoln James, JR, Honorable Mention
• Ian Lash, JR, Honorable Mention
Girls Cross Country
• Macy Eggart, JR, First Team
• Katie Burt, FR, Honorable Mention
• Carter O’Dell, SR, Second Team - Linebacker, Honorable Mention - Running Back
• Ethan Kregger, SR, Honorable Mention - Offensive Line
• Ethan Belcher, JR, Honorable Mention - Defensive Line
• Kooper Shields, JR, Honorable Mention, Kicker
• Bridget Boyd, SO, Second Team – Forward
• Korinne Hayes, SO, Second Team – Midfield
• Ally Beuck, SR, Second Team – Goalkeeper
• Jaden Ryan, JR, Honorable Mention - Defender
Slow Pitch Softball
• Sara Justice, SR, First Team – Infield
• Clarabell Hall, SR, First Team – Infield
• Brooklyn White, FR, First Team – Infield
• Anna Delarosa, Jr, First Team – Outfield
• Madison Worden, SR, First Team – Pitcher
• Nicole Bobadilla, SR, First Team – Utility
• Emily Meliah, SO, Second Team – Outfield
• Jacky Solomini, FR, Second Team – Outfield
• Addie Bowen, SO, Second Team - Extra Hitter
• Kasey Wegner, SR, Second Team - Middle Hitter
• Eden Glaus, SR, Second Team - Outside Hitter
• Jailyn Davenport, JR, Second Team - Setter