Scholarship award supports local bilingual staff pursuing teaching careers in education
This week the district’s Beca Maestro/a del Futuro Scholarship committee awarded five, $1,500 scholarships to bilingual district para-educators and other classified support staff interested in pursuing a teaching career in education. This program supports the district’s priority of increasing the number of bilingual teachers across its campuses.
Congratulations to the 2020-2021 Scholarship Recipients:
• Armando Rubio, Paraeducator, Pioneer Middle School
• Juan Faba Lopez, Paraeducator, Green Park Elementary
• Tomas Cortez, Paraeducator, Edison Elementary
• Ashley Cesena, Secretary, Garrison Middle School
• Javier Hernandez, Intervention Specialist, Pioneer Middle School
This scholarship aims to assist current bilingual Walla Walla Public Schools classified staff who desire to become certificated employees in Walla Walla Public Schools. Up to five, $1,500 scholarships will be awarded per year and are renewable once.
“We wish nothing but the best for these talented staff as they pursue their dreams to become classroom teachers,” said Human Resources Director Liz Campeau. “We look forward to watching their progress and supporting them to begin teaching careers here in Walla Walla.”