Walla Walla Public Schools has named its 2019-2020 Staff Achievement Grant recipients. The program started in 1988 to recognize teachers and support staff for superior performance, innovation, exemplary leadership and exceptional service. Staff Achievement Grant recipients, who are nominated and chosen by their peers, receive a $1,500 stipend and five days of paid release time for professional growth activities.
2019-2020 Staff Achievement Recipients
Chris Ferenz (Math Teacher and Dean of Students at Walla Walla High School)
- Nominators: Kim Cassetto, John Golden, Stephanie Eastman and Peggy Payne.
Armida Contreras (Head Secretary at Garrison Middle School)
- Nominators: Ashley Cesena, Henry Reuwer, DeeDee Delaney and Lance Longmire.
Liza Jacobson (Para-educator at Prospect Point Elementary)
- Nominators: Charlene Maib, Juan Faba and Gloria Olivos.
John Golden (Social Studies teacher at Walla Walla High School and former longtime boys basketball coach)
- Nominators: Anne Bickelhaupt, Gary Peasley and Chris Ferenz.
Marybeth Norby (Music teacher at Green Park Elementary)
- Nominators: Jean Tobin, Missy Johnson, Lori Parnicky and Ava Kirtley.
“These outstanding staff members have excelled in their craft in supporting our vision of Developing Washington’s Most Sought-After Graduates,” said Assistant Superintendent Chris Gardea. “Now in its third decade, the Staff Achievement Grant Program is our way to recognize staff who have been nominated by their peers for their exceptional service.”