ADMINISTRATIVE PROCEDURE No. 6970
When the board of directors determines the naming of a school or facility meets the criteria in Policy 6970, the naming of a school and/or district facilities will take place in the following manner:
A. The superintendent, or his/her designee, will select a committee of whose purpose it will be to submit to the board a list of not less than three, nor more than five, names for a facility. The list will briefly state, along with each name, why the committee nominated each name. The committee may solicit nominations from students and the community.
B. The committee will, whenever possible, follow these guidelines:
1. Each name will be known to, and significant to, the people of the district;
2. The names submitted will not conflict with the names of other schools in the district or surrounding districts; and
C. The board will select the name of the new facility from the list, which may or may not include stakeholder input processes. In recognition of the efforts of those involved in the project, a plaque containing the following information will be attached to a new building (when appropriate).
1. School and/or facilities name;
2. Board-approved construction date;
3. Completion or dedication date;
4. Name of board members as of the board-approved construction date in the following order:
b. Vice President; and
c. Members (alphabetically)
5. Superintendent as of board-approved construction date; and
6. Architect, contractor names, and applicable project leadership.
Formal dedication of the facility will take place on a date and time specified by the board.
Issued: February 2013
Revised: February 2017