Placement of Cameras:
- Cameras are authorized for use in buses by the director of transportation.
- Digital cameras are installed in all buses; cameras are recording at all times buses are in operation.
- All buses will have signs notifying riders that video cameras are in use.
Use of the Video/Audio Recording:
- If video is needed to support a disciplinary action or concern of any type, the transportation department mechanic or supervisor will remove the camera hard drive and retain it in a secure location.
- If the driver wishes to view the video, a time will be set for this purpose.
- The transportation director may view the recorded video with or without the driver.
- If a serious or flagrant violation of student bus rules is observed or if there is a continued violation, despite intervention, standard disciplinary action may be taken. Lesser violations will be brought to the attention of the student and proper conduct explained.
- Any time a recorded video is to be used to support a disciplinary action, the downloaded video/audio will be dated, labeled and kept on file at the transportation department office for as long as deemed necessary.
- Video/audio not used to support disciplinary action will remain on buses.
- When a video/audio is used to support disciplinary action, the student or the student’s parent/guardian/custodian may request to view the video. A viewing will be arranged at the student’s school or the transportation department office.
- A building principal or designee may request viewing of video through the transportation director.
- The director of transportation may use video to assist drivers with student behavior management skills.
- Should viewing the video reveal a situation that would require law enforcement response, the transportation director or the school principal may refer the video to the proper authority for viewing and action.
- Should the video contain evidence of serious violation of district policy or practice by the driver, the transportation director may take appropriate action based on the evidence in the video.
- The transportation director may view video for observation and evaluation purposes. The video will not be used as an exclusive evaluation.
Issued: September 2003
Revised: November 2015