Health Services Update by Director Amy Ruff
Cold and flu season is upon us. Here are some ways to stay healthy!
- Wash your hands. Studies show that this is the BEST way to prevent the spread of infection
- Get a flu shot. Everyone 6 months of age and older should get a flu vaccine annually
- Avoid people who are sick! If you are sick, stay home from school or work until fever free for 24 hours
Pertussis has been reported in our community.
- Pertussis (whooping cough) is a highly contagious bacterial infection that causes a severe cough
- Pertussis infections are most dangerous to babies less than one year, pregnant women and those who have not been vaccinated. Unimmunized children could require exclusion from school due to Pertussis
- Pertussis starts as a mild upper respiratory infection. See your doctor if symptoms occur. Pertussis can be more easily treated if caught early.
- Having the proper immunizations prevents disease, and are required by law for all students
- Talk to your school nurse if you are having trouble obtaining vaccinations. We can help!