A+ A A-

6881 - Disposal of Surplus Equipment and/or Materials



The board has the authority to declare equipment, supplies, furniture and other district personal property obsolete and/or surplus. The superintendent shall establish procedures for their sale, trade or disposal.

Prior to disposing of any surplus texts, other books, equipment, materials or relocatable facilities, the superintendent shall serve written notice in a newspaper of general circulation in the school district and to any public school district or private school in Washington State annually requesting such notice. All schools on the list shall be notified in writing of the materials and equipment that are available. The material or equipment shall be sold to any interested public or private school at its depreciated cost or fair market value, whichever is greater. Students shall have priority in the purchase of texts. Disposition of such surplus property to parties other than public or private schools may take place thirty days after written notice is served.

The preceding notice requirements do not apply to the loan, lease, sale or transfer of assistive devices for the use or benefit of children with disabilities, their parents, or any public or private nonprofit agency providing education, health or rehabilitation services to individuals with disabilities. Such devices do not need to be declared surplus. The sale or transfer of such devices shall be recorded and based on the item’s depreciated value. The district shall establish and maintain an inventory of assistive technology devices whose value exceeds $100 and, for each device, shall establish a value that shall be adjusted annually to reflect depreciation.

“Assistive device” means any item, piece of equipment, or product system, whether acquired commercially off-the-shelf, modified or customized, that is used to increase, maintain, or improve functional capabilities of children with disabilities.
Funds derived from the rental, sale or lease of student transportation equipment shall be placed into the transportation vehicle fund. Funds derived from the sale of personal property shall be placed into the general fund.

Legal References:



Surplus school property, rental, lease or use of Disposition of moneys received from 


Conveyance and acquisition of property -- Management


Surplus texts and other educational aids, notice of availability -- Student priority as to texts 


School districts and libraries--Disposal of obsolete or surplus reading materials-- Procedures

Chapter 104, Laws of 1997

Assistive Devices for Children with Disabilities --Increasing Availability

392-143-050 Resold School Buses


First Reading: February 19, 2002

Adopted by the Board: July 16, 2002

WALLA WALLA PUBLIC SCHOOLS • 364 South Park St. • Walla Walla, WA 99362 • Phone: 509-527-3000 • Fax: 509.529.7713

SS-logo-alert-transparent Safe Schools Tip Line: 855.976.8772