A+ A A-

3520 (P) - Student Fees, Fines, Charges



The district shall provide an educational program for the students as free of costs as possible. The superintendent may approve the use of supplementary supplies or materials for which a charge is made to the student so long as the charge does not exceed the cost of the supplies or materials, students are free to purchase them elsewhere or provide reasonable alternatives, and a proper accounting is made of all moneys received by staff for supplies and materials.

The board delegates authority to the superintendent to establish appropriate fees and procedures governing the collection of fees and to make annual reports to the board regarding fee schedules. Arrangements shall be made for the waiver or reduction of fees for students whose families, by reason of their low income, would have difficulty paying the full fee. The USDA Child Nutrition Program guidelines shall be used to determine qualification for waiver. The superintendent shall establish a procedure for notifying parents/guardians of the availability of fee waivers and reductions.

A student shall be responsible for the cost of replacing materials or property which are lost or damaged due to negligence. A student's grades, transcripts or diploma may be withheld until restitution is made by payment or the equivalency through voluntary work. The student or his/her parents/guardians may appeal the imposition of a charge for damages to the superintendent and board of directors.

The student and his/her parents/guardians shall be notified regarding the nature of the violation or damage, how restitution may be made, and how an appeal may be instituted. When the damages or fines do not exceed $100, the student or his/her parents/guardians shall have the right to an informal conference with the principal. As is the case for appealing a short-term suspension, the principal's decision may be appealed to the superintendent and to the board of directors. When damages are in excess of $100, the appeal process for long-term suspension shall apply.

If a student has transferred to another school district that has requested the student's records, but the student has an outstanding fee or fine, only records pertaining to the student's academic performance, special placement, immunization history, attendance, history of violent behavior, violent offenses, sex offenses, inhaling toxic fumes, drug offenses, liquor violations, assault, kidnapping, harassment, stalking or arson, and discipline actions shall be sent to the enrolling school. The content of those records shall be communicated to the enrolling district within two school days and copies of the records shall be sent as soon as possible. The official transcript will not be released until the outstanding fee or fine is discharged. The enrolling school shall be notified that the official transcript is being withheld due to an unpaid fee or fine.


Cross References:

Board Policy


Student Records

Legal References:

AGO 1965-66, No. 113

Fees--Tuition--Supplies -- Authority of school districts to charge tuition fees or textbook fees

1973, No. 11

Tuition & Fees--Authority of school districts to charge various fees



Enrolling students from other districts


Instructional materials--Instructional materials committee


Additional powers of board


Defacing or injuring school property--Liability of parent or guardian


Fiscal support--Reimbursement to school districts--Enrollment fees--Deposit



Immunization of day care and school children against certain vaccine-preventable diseases


First Reading: May 7, 2002

Adopted by the Board: July 16, 2002

WALLA WALLA PUBLIC SCHOOLS • 364 South Park St. • Walla Walla, WA 99362 • Phone: 509-527-3000 • Fax: 509.529.7713

SS-logo-alert-transparent Safe Schools Tip Line: 855.976.8772