A+ A A-

2411 - Certificate of Educational Competency



A student who is 16 years of age or older but under 19 years of age and who has a substantial and warranted reason for leaving the regular high school program, or who has been home schooled may make application, at the option of the applicant, to the resident district or the school last attended in the state of Washington, for a certificate of educational competency. The application must be signed by the student's parent/guardian and shall include the recommendation of a staff review committee and the superintendent or designee. Causes considered shall be those indicating that withdrawal would be in the student's best interests, including any one of the following:

    1. Personal problems which seriously impair the student's ability to make reasonable progress toward high school graduation;
    2. A financial crisis which directly affects the student and necessitates the student's employment during school hours;
    3. The lack of curriculum and instruction which constitute appropriate learning experiences for the student;
    4. The inability or failure of the school of attendance to adjust its program for the individual or otherwise make arrangements for enrollment in a program in a manner which enables the student to advance toward graduation with reasonable progress and success;
    5. The student has been home-schooled and has essentially completed high school work.

The district shall make provisions for an appeal process for any student who feels that the denial to apply for a certificate of educational competency was unwarranted.

Certificates of educational competency shall be awarded by the state superintendent of public instruction and the state board for community and technical colleges.

Cross References:

Board Policy


Part-Time, Home-Based, or Off-Campus Students

Legal References:



Reentry of Prior Dropouts Into Common Schools, Rules -Eligibility For GED Test


Certificate of Educational Competence, Rules for Issuance.



Certificate of Educational Competence

Ch. 131-48

Certificate of Educational Competence (Community and Technical Colleges)


First Reading: March 19, 2002

Adopted by the Board: July 16, 2002

WALLA WALLA PUBLIC SCHOOLS • 364 South Park St. • Walla Walla, WA 99362 • Phone: 509-527-3000 • Fax: 509.529.7713

SS-logo-alert-transparent Safe Schools Tip Line: 855.976.8772